Awards & Recognition
Our research-driven strategies and validated outcomes have earned our team these awards:
- NREPP Certification- National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices, 2016
- NASADAD Award-National Exemplary Award for Innovative Programs, Practices and Policies, 2014
- Service to Science Award for Building Evaluation Capacity for Evidence-Based Interventions, from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), 2013
- Service to Science Award from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), 2011
- Governor’s Traffic Safety Award for Long-term Achievement 2011
With collective experience that spans a century, our team’s dedication to the health, safety and empowerment of youth is unparalleled. We stand firmly in our belief that when you capture the passion of youth, give them focus, support and agency, you change lives. SLS has been doing just this since 1982 and our commitment has never waivered.
Meet Our People
Board of Directors
Meet Our Student Advisory Board
Established in 1986, we train each passionate group of emerging leaders to lead and teach their peers and younger students. They work with our team and member schools to promote youth involvement, networking and stakeholder partnerships. The Student Advisory Board (SAB) develops and leads conferences, assemblies and workshops. These students are dedicated to creating healthy, safe and inclusive schools and communities across Michigan and we are proud to help them do this important work!
It makes us proud that former Student Advisory Board (SAB) members and other young adults who have benefited from SLS programs continue to support us after they graduate. They return because they want to pass on the strength, skills, and knowledge that they acquired as members of SLS programs. As part of our team, our alumni volunteers help with financial contributions, event planning, technology support, student and chapter mentoring, and fundraising. We are inspired by and incredibly grateful for their ongoing involvement!